26.11.00

Episode 29

Star Trek: Phoenix-X
"Loyalties, Part I"

(The Prometheus-class Phoenix-X soars through space. Commander Seifer has the Bridge)
Seifer: Go left.
Red: Aye, sir.
(He makes the necessary course corrections)
Seifer: Okay, now go right.
Red: Aye, sir.
(He makes the necessary course corrections)
Seifer: Go left.
Red: Sir!
Seifer: Just kidding. Go downwards.
Red: Sir!
Seifer: That's an order, Lieutenant!
Red: Aye, sir.
(He makes the necessary course corrections. The Phoenix-X takes a nosedive, passing by a bunch of alien vessels)
Seifer: What the heck was that?
Armond: I don't know, sir, but they're tailing us now.
(The alien vessels pursue the Phoenix-X and start firing. Seifer stops the ship and hails the aliens)
Seifer: This is Commander Seifer of the free-wheeling, height-highing flight and fancy-free Federation Starship Phoenix-X
>Ozio: This is Ceavon attack ship Evacel. We just want what is ours. The engagment should have been evidence of that!
(The screen cuts out)
Seifer: Well, that was helpful. Kayl, do you know these attention-short people?
Kayl (works): The Ceavon. They are a new species to the Federation. The U.S.S. Crucial encountered them three weeks ago while scouting out this area of space.
Seifer: Then whatever is up with them probably has to do with the Crucial. Where is the Crucial located now?
Kayl: Unknown, Commander. The Starfleet Intelligence has concealed that information.

(The Ceavon attack ships swarm the Phoenix-X prompting the Phoenix-X to employ its multi-vector assault mode. Vector Alpha ascends past a bunch of Ceavon ships and focuses its firing at the lead Ceavon vessel Evacel. They chase it away from the main battle zone)
Seifer: Keep this course, Red, and don't dottle!

(One of the other Ceavon attack ships suddenly becomes unstable from hits and is partially broken apart. A large piece of its back section blows past Vector Gamma, twirls, and then smashes into pieces on Vector Beta. Vector Beta sustains structural integrity)
Tong: Lieutenant Commander Kugo! We have injuries on Decks 6 through 8 and we are low on torpedoes!
Kugo: Understood. Contact Vector Gamma.
(The computer acknowledges)
#GoyCho: Gamma, here.
Kugo: We're getting weak. Can you cover us?
#GoyCho: Negat—ve.
(Communications begin to break up)
#GoyCho: We— manouver—ng four Ceav— sh—ps.

(It cuts out. On Vector Gamma, GoyCho turns to his crew)
GoyCho: Aim for their targeting transceiver.
(The Vector shakes from a cluster of torpedoes)
Kortos (at controls): It's too small of a crevice on their hull for our torpedoes. We have to take out their weapons systems.
GoyCho: No. Switch to phasers and continue to aim for their targeting systems. Contact Vector Alpha and tell them to come back.

(Phoenix-X Vector Alpha continues to chase the Evacel, half a lightyear away. They aim for their targeting systems)
Kayl: Commander, Vector Gamma is requesting our assistance.
Seifer: What is the status of the Evacel?
Armond: They have sustained heavy damage and cannot lock onto us.
(The Vector shakes)
Armond: But occasionally they get lucky.
Seifer: Take out their weapon systems.
(The Vector shakes again)
Kayl: Shields to 85%. Commander; request to help the others?
Seifer: Hold on. I wanna see a cool explosion!
(Vector Alpha pumps out more torpedoes at the Evacel before it dives out of the way and heads towards a bunch of Starfleet ships in the distance)
Seifer: Aw man! They dodged it.

(The starships in the distance are busy doing maintenance to a large, red communications array. The vessels detect the Evacel coming for them but don't care about it until it opens fire. Vector Alpha swoops over Evacel and locks a tactor beam)
Kayl: Commander, there are seven Starfleet starships out there. The Crucial and the Jenova are hailing.
Seifer: Tell them the location of Vector's Beta and Gamma.
(Kayl transmits the co-ordinates)

(On the Evacel)
Ozio: Send a plasma pulse up their tractor beam.
Huev: Yes, Captain.
(A blue wave flows up the tractor beam and ruptures Vector Alpha, blinking out the beam and knocking Vector Alpha spinning off into space)
Ozio: Hahaha!
(The other Starfleet ships surround him)
Ozio: Ah. I got a little too excited there.
>Samya: Ceavon vessel, this is Captain Samya of the Federation Starship Dropzone. Drop your weapons or we will be forced to take offensive measures.
Ozio: You mean like blowing us up?
>Samya: Yeah, basically.
Ozio: Ah. I got a little too precise there.

(The other Ceavon attack ships retreat at the sight of the Crucial and the Jenova. The Crucial and the Jenova escort Phoenix-X Vectors Beta and Gamma back to the large array site)

(On Phoenix-X Vector Alpha, Captain Daniel sits alone in the Conference room, reading a PADD)
Seifer (enters): You wanted to talk?
Daniel: I just finished reading the crew reports on your encounter with the Ceavon.
Seifer: Man, did you see it? GoyCho broke one of their ships in half! Wham! Bam! Thank you, ma'am.
Daniel: As you know, I was regenerating after a straight week of non-stop ordering people around. Why didn't you go back to help them? They were this close to being destroyed.
Seifer: I've a lot of trust in their abilities to handle themselves. With all due respect, we can't always be there for the crew.
Daniel: Commander, those are valuable Starfleet officers with advanced transwarp technical knowledge aboard valuable, classified Starfleet assets. Not only that, we back each other up, especially when we're in an optimal position.
Seifer: Or is that an excuse not to diversify our tactics?
Daniel: I let you stay on this ship because I still consider you crew even after your symbiont change, but your symbiont better learn what it means to be loyal to your ship.
(He exits)
Seifer: Well, now.

(Later, the Phoenix-X is reassembled and Daniel enters the Bridge)
Jet: Listen, we did not steal your Ceavon Array. We just picked it up and kept it when you were not looking.
>Ozio: That's the same thing!
Daniel: What the Janeway-clowns is going on here?
Jet: Greetings, sir. I am Captain Jet of the Federation Starship Shark. I am in command of this task force.
Daniel: Well, now.
Jet: The Ceavon are claiming we stole their array. We didn't. We found it and it was specifically labelled as discarded on its computer memory system.
>Ozio: Oh! Uhhh, that? In our language, discarded means the opposite. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. In fact, everything in our language is the opposite of yours. I'm going to not have an affair with my first in command and when I come back, I don't want answers!
(The screen clicks off and then clicks back on)
>Ozio: Have a good day!
(The screen clicks off)
Kayl: That wasn't very nice of him.
Daniel: Yeah, kind of rude. Anyway, Captain Jet, what are you doing with this Ceavon Array anyway?
Jet: Trying to get it working. It is a secret mission with Starfleet Intelligence, so I would ask you not to discuss it and our whereabouts with anyone other than your crew and Task Force Epsilon.
Daniel: Task Force Epsilon?
Jet: That's right! They are the six starships out there. I tried renaming them as Flame Squad, but Starfleet vetoed me so fast.
(Daniel turns to Armond. Armond takes sensor readings)
Armond: He's right, Captain. I recognize these names. Dropzone, Jenova, Hijinx, Crucial, Ixion, Tsunami.
Jet: Doesn't matter that my ship is smaller. They still have to listen to me. Ha! Heyyy, you're the ship that used to be in command of them, aren't you? Ha! What are the odds?
(He laughs as he walks away)
Jet: Heh, heh, heh. They are sooo mad at you.
(He exits)
Daniel: Alright, I'm cancelling my Captain's Open Beam Policy.

(On Deck 3, Commander Seifer rests in his Quarters)
Seifer: Stupid Captain and crew. I'm loyal! I'm so loyal to myself that I talk myself when no one is around!
Tyler: I'm around.
Seifer: Aah!!
Tyler: Sorry if I scared you. But your door was open.
Seifer: How can it be open? They automatically close!
Tyler (ashamed): You're right. I had to implode your lock.
Seifer: I respect that.
Tyler: I am Commander Tyler of the Federation Starship Shark. We have been monitoring your advancements in technical knowledge for your past four symbiotic lifetimes. We understand you know about Ceavon technology and would request your help in our mission.
Seifer: Oh, but that's my old sym—
Tyler: You would be working with professionals. It would be a great opportunity for you to leave your ship for a while.
Seifer: Leave my ship, eh? Professionals, eh? I don't get any appreciation here anyway. Count me in!
Tyler: Wait. did I cut you off from explaining something? Ah, it's probably nothing. 

(On the Bridge, Daniel hails the Crucial)
Daniel: Captain. I understand you are the first to have contact with the Ceavon—
>Menrow: You understand correct, sir. A little too correct if you ask me. Don't ever hail me again!
(The screen cuts out. Daniel glances at his crew in confusion)
Ensign Dan: Must be that time of the month.
(The Captain hails the Hijinx)
Daniel: Captain Reynolds. I was wondering if you could—
>Reynolds: Answer a few questions? Of course not! How did I know you were going to say that? I'm telepathic! Am I still going to answer a few questions? Of course not!
(The screen cuts out. Daniel hails the Tsunami)
Daniel: Do you have any idea what is going on here?
>McCary: Idea? I know exactly what's going on here. But why would I want to tell you, Phoenix-X? I hate birds. A phoenix is a bird!
(The screen cuts out. Daniel hails the Jenova)
Daniel: Look, Captain Iviok—
>Iviok: Ah. If it isn't the wonderful Phoenix-X? I am very pleased to see you.
Daniel: Finally.
>Iviok: Unfortunately, I do not have time to speak. I must quickly restabilize the gravimetric disturbances all over my ship. I had them installed last Tuesday.
(The screen cuts out. Daniel hails the Dropzone)
Daniel: Captain. I need your help. What does the Federation plan to do with this communications array?
>Samya: Duh. Obviously to communicate.
Daniel: Then why did they send military ships to fix it instead of science ships? There has to be a reason the Shark wants to keep this a secret.
>Samya: Yeah. But whatcha gonna do?
(The screen cuts out. Daniel hails the Ixion)
>Wasyati: Look, Phoenix-X. I'm gonna keep this straight forward. I don't like you.
Daniel: Do you like him?
(He points to Ensign Dan)
>Wasyati: Yes.
Ensign Dan: Oh, I thought you hated annoying Ensigns?
>Wasyati: You're an Ensign? That's it, I'm cutting this screen out!
(The screen cuts out)
Daniel: Captain Jet was right. What's up with these people?
Ensign Dan: They used to like us. Maybe they're mad that we left them so suddenly after we committed to being in command of them three years ago?
Daniel: Ah.

(On the Ceavon Array, Captain Jet leads Commander Seifer into a computer room. They approach a big red wall with interface panels all over it)
Jet: Here is the alien operating system we suspect is Ceavon. Do you think you can activate the energy reserves to get this thing working?
(Seifer looks up at all the buttons, with no clue)
Seifer: Uhh, yeah. Of course.
(He presses a button. A big mechanical arm comes out and picks up Captain Jet)
Jet: Aaahh!
Seifer: Oops.
(He presses it again and the arm goes away)
Jet: What was that about?
Seifer: Oh, that. That's just security. They just wanted to make sure that you have no threatening qualities.
Jet: Oh.
(The Commander taps at the panels, searching through the memory systems)
Seifer: Why couldn't you ask the Ceavon to help you with this?
Jet: The Ceavon are too arrogant. They would just beg for us to give it back.
Seifer (checks): This thing hasn't been activated for 600 years. Does the Federation want to use this to find lost ships?
Jet: I'll tell you, Commander, but you cannot tell your crew. Your loyalties are to Starfleet before your ship.
Seifer: Odd distinction, but I'll allow it.
Jet: This ancient array is more than a galaxy spread communiqué. It's a matter transmitter.

(On the Phoenix-X, Ensign Dan enters the Captain's Ready Room)
Ensign Dan: The Ceavon are responding.
Daniel: On screen.
(Ozio goes on his small laptop screen)
Daniel: I am detecting reinforcements of your fleet. Are you really ready to go to war over an abandoned communications array?
>Ozio: You must think us crazy, Captain. But we are trying to protect you from this array.
Ensign Dan: Don't believe him, Captain. Everything he says is opposite.
>Ozio: Oh, I was just making that up, you idiot!
Ensign Dan: See? He wasn't just making that up, and I'm not an idiot.
Daniel: Protect us from what in the array?
>Ozio: Our people once betrayed our ancestors by moving to this galaxy. Our ancestors were not very happy about it. Captain, beware of what lies in the array's abilities. Beware of the Thalia Curse.

(On Deck 1, Transporter Room 1, Seifer beams aboard onto the platform)
Seifer: Ensign, what time is it?
Billy: 1400, sir.
Seifer: Then the Captain is not regenerating.
Daniel (enters): You are right about that.
Seifer: Captain. It's so nice of you to welcome me back.
Daniel: What's going on, Seifer? Why are you helping Captain Jet?
Seifer (steps down): I was asked personally on behalf of Starfleet Intelligence.
Daniel: Why is Starfleet Intelligence so interested in this array?
Seifer: I'm sorry, sir. I can't disclose that information.
Daniel: I am your Captain!
Seifer: Duh.
Daniel: Or have you forgotten the meaning of that?
Seifer (goes to door): Maybe you've forgotten the meaning of trusting your colleagues.
Daniel: At least tell me one thing. Who are the Thalia?
Seifer: Fine. They're the ancient ancestors of the Ceavon.

(The Ceavon Array lights up and its generator turns on. The dish rotates in the direction parallel to the swirl of the Milky Way Galaxy. Later, Seifer is onboard the Nova-class U.S.S. Shark)
Jet: Excellent! Tyler, contact Starfleet Intelligence. Tell them we have it working.
Seifer (working): It's not entirely functional. We need to start up the main particle receiver with an ultra-subspace boost.
Jet: Not even all the ships here could summon that much power.
Seifer (gazes): The Phoenix-X might be able to fake a transwarp particle accelerator beam.
Jet: What?
Seifer: Uhh, nothing.
Jet: What is this about transwarp? No Starfleet ship has transwarp capabilities. The Excelsior even coughed up combustible petroleum when it tried.
Seifer: Honestly, the lead pipes on that ship were a mistake.
Jet: For them, yes, but, for the Phoenix-X, I bet is a different story.
(He rushes off to his Ready Room)

(On the Phoenix-X, they are hailed by the U.S.S. Crucial)
>Menrow: Captain. The Shark knows about your transwarp function.
Daniel: Ugh. That messes with what we understand as common knowledge canon. Are you sure? How do you know?
>Menrow: Captain Jet was just interrogating Task Force Epsilon.
Daniel: You twitched your eye or raised an indistinctive brow, didn't you? You know that gives it away. I told you that when I took command of all of you.
>Menrow: It's hereditary for humans! Besides, he is in command of our task force now. Our loyalties lie towards him.
Daniel: That doesn't mean you dishonor my trust.
>Menrow: You dishonored us first by leaving.
Daniel: We were relieved by Admiral Cloud!
(The screen cuts in half)
>Iviok: Shut your word hole, people!
>Menrow: Wow. Argumentative, much.
>Iviok: What is done is done. Task Force Epsilon still owes the Phoenix-X its loyalty, as the Phoenix-X owes Task Force Epsilon. All we have to do now, is decide whether you are going to collaborate secrets with the Shark or deny the existence of your transwarp function.
Daniel: Deny! The Shark doesn't deserve my trust after manipulating my own Commander.
>Iviok: Very well. Then Task Force Epsilon will also deny it.
>Menrow: Agreed.
Daniel: Thanks.
(They discontinue the transmission when a transmission suddenly opens up from the Shark)
>Jet: Captain, I know of your transwarp. We need your help to activate the Ceavon Array.
Daniel: Not a chance in hell's hell.
>Jet: You have transwarp, Captain. My sensors can detect it!
Daniel: That's our subspace espresso machine.
(He gives the signal to cut the audio)
Daniel (taps commbadge): Daniel to Engineering. We need that warp core up and running.
#Matt: Aye, sir.

(In Main Engineering, Matt and a several engineers run over to the closet, take out a dusty warp core add-on component and put it in place)
Matt: There.
Kugo: Oh no! What did we do with the espresso machine!?
Matt: Right here.
(He pours her an espresso)
Kugo: That's the stuff.

(On the Shark, Jet cuts communications and walks over to Seifer)
Jet: He refuses to admit it!
Seifer: I'm not even sure they have something so preposterous.
Jet: You must help us, Seifer. I am ordering you on behalf of Starfleet Intelligence.
Seifer: Well, now.
Jet: Commander. The Phoenix-X is nothing. I read those tactical reports of your first encounter with the Ceavon. You were right when you said the other Vectors could take care of themselves.
Seifer: Tactical dependency is strategic bankruptcy.
Jet: They don't appreciate you. Help me. I know what you're capable of. Think of it. Your own ship in Task Force Epsilon. I can make it happen.
(Seifer thinks and then walks over to a control panel and starts tapping on it)

TO BE CONTINUED