1.6.97

Episode 6A

Star Trek: Phoenix-X
"The Cloud Aloft"

(In the Gamma Quadrant, on the Phoenix-X. Bridge)
Daniel: ETA?
Red: 25 minutes.
(Daniel paces)
Armond: Entering Dominion territory...
(Daniel continues pacing)
Gotens: Are we ready for this?

(In Engineering)
Kugo: Is the plasma still fluxing?
(Her subordinate checks the view-panel)
Gewdeque: Affirmative.
Kugo: Chief to Bridge. I don't know how much longer we can maintain this velocity.

(On the Bridge)
Daniel: Estimated time?
#Kugo: None, Captain.

(In Engineering)
Kugo: The problem in the plasma is getting worse every second. I'm betting on a total warp core overload. Any time from now.

(On the Bridge)
Daniel: I can't stop the ship. We're in Dominion territory.
Gotens: Captian. I recommend we stop.
#Kugo: Looks like the new problem started ever since we engaged transwarp from Cretacia.
Armond: We're almost out...
#Kugo: It wouldn't matter if we did stop. The problem would still persist.
Red: Captian?
Daniel: Maintain current speed.
#Kugo: Our other problem also persists. Any moment the warp core could—
(The ship shakes)
Red: We are currently on half-impulse.
#Kugo: ...Give out...

(In Engineering)
Kugo: Speak of the Vulcan devil.
(The ship then shakes roughly)

(On the Bridge)
Armond: We are under attack from two Jem'Hadar attack ships.
Daniel: Uuggh. I just want to leave this quadrant.
Gotens: Kugo. Can you get the transwarp back?
#Kugo: I don't think so, sir. I have all my men working on the fluctuations.
Gotens: Are you getting any progress?
#Kugo: Negative.
Gotens: Then get your men working on the warp.
#Kugo: Aye, sir.
(The ship roughly tilts left and right. The upper control panel explodes and Armond gets knocked out on the floor. Gotens checks and finds him okay and then checks the control panel)
Gotens: Weapon control is out.
Daniel (checks chair console): It's out here too.
Red: We're sitting Earth ducks.

(On the first Jem'Hadar attack ship, Lyngon-945)
First Jakla'Tan: Fire on them again.
Second Uon'Rog: We must retreat. Time is running out!
First Jakla'Tan: It's a Federation tactical cruiser! If I can't have it, then I will destroy it!!

(On the Phoenix-X)
Gotens: If I can get to the Weapons Room, then maybe I can gain control.
Daniel: I'll go. You stay on the Bridge. I have much more experience with weapons than you do.
(He leaves the Bridge. BOB enters)
Gotens: Hail them.

(On the Lyngon-945)
Fourth Dyn'Mek: The Federation vessel is hailing us.
Second Uon'Rog: Respond.
>Gotens: We are a formidable starship and very ready to destroy you. Now, I'm giving you a chance to retreat and we will not pursue.
First Jakla'Tan: What are you doing!? Mingling with the enemy? Terminate this frequency!
Second Uon'Rog: We must not stay here, for it will mean our death as well as theirs.

(On the Phoenix-X, the screen goes out)
Gotens: What were they talking about?
BOB: I dunno, but it must be really important.
Armond: The other Jem'Hadar ship is retreating.

(As the second Jem'Hadar attack ship, Lyngon-944, turns to leave, it fires a torpedo at the Phoenix-X and jumps to warp)

(On the remaining Jem'Hadar attack ship, Lyngon-945)
First Jakla'Tan: Do a full sensor sweep on their ship. I want to know if the jamming sequence worked.

(On the Phoenix-X)
#Daniel: I can't get the weapons armed. It looks like we took a sub-electric jamming shot.
(The Phoenix-X gets hit by another torpedo)
Gotens: That's it.
(He presses the control panel)

(On the Lyngon-945)
>Gotens: You really want to take us on, do you?
First Jakla'Tan: You don't have weapons. What are you going to do?

(On Phoenix-X)
Armond: They've lowered shields.

(On the Lyngon-945)
First Jakla'Tan: Convert remaining power to our quantum torpedo.

(On Phoenix-X)
#Daniel: Multi-vector mode.
Gotens: What good is that gonna do?
#Daniel: Trust me. Computer, initiate multi-vector separation. Attack sequence Omega.
(The ship separates into three)

(On the Lyngon-945)
First Jakla'Tan: Their ship is separating into three...?

(The Phoenix-X vectors start circulating around the Jem'Hadar attack ship)

(On the Lyngon-945)
First Jakla'Tan: Oookay...
Ninth Toba'Rukh: I can't get a clear lock on any one of them!
Fourth Dyn'Mek: They've lowered their shields.
(Several Starfleet officers suddenly beam onto the Bridge. They start fighting)

(On Vector Alpha)
Armond: Commander, I'm detecting some kind of subspace inimical energy cloud. Unknown.
Gotens: What? Where?
Armond: Five parsecs away. Over there, behind the Jem'Hadar attack ship.
BOB: That's what the Jem'Hadar were afraid of.

(A purple cloud heads toward both ships)

(On Vector Alpha)
Gotens: Can we get out of here on impulse power?
Armond: Negative.

(On Vector Beta)
#Wallace: Captian, we've got control of the Jem'Hadar attack ship.
Daniel: Good.
#Gotens: Gotens to all vectors. We've gotta get outta here! There's an unknown energy cloud coming this way.
Daniel: Wallace, tractor the three vectors and get us out of here!

(On the Vector Alpha)
BOB: It's too late...

(The purple cloud swallows the ships in continual movement, then continues on passed them)

(On Vector Beta)
Daniel: No problem.

(The three vectors recombine into the Phoenix-X. Daniel enters the Bridge)
#Kugo: Kugo to Bridge. When we were inside that energy cloud, the warp core stopped fluctuating.
Daniel: What are you saying? We should go back into it, and then it will stop fluctuating?
#Kugo: Not really. But that's a good idea.

(The Phoenix-X, tractored to the Jem'Hadar fighter, heads into the cloud again)

(On the Phoenix-X)
Ensign Dan: Ooooh, pretty...
Daniel: You're relieved.
#Kugo: It worked.
Gotens: Great.
Daniel: Red, maintain speed. Stay in the cloud.

(Later, in the Conference room)
Gotens: Okay. We've got a warp core ready to explode the second we leave the cloud. All we've got is impulse power. No weapon control in case we get attacked again. A tractored Jem'Hadar fighter filled with Jem'Hadar prisoners. Half our officers are over there. And no communication with the Federation. Our ship is in bad shape.
Armond: The cloud prevents any further communication outside the cloud, no matter how close another ship is. Unless it comes in...
Kayl: Captian, I've been studying the cloud. I know we can find a way to contain it and have control over it. That way we can keep it on us.
Gotens: If we use the Jem'Hadar fighter to tractor us at warp, how long do you think it will take us to get to the wormhole?
Red: Two weeks. We also risk running into more Dominion ships. And if we do get home, we can't communicate with anyone.
Daniel: I'm gonna have a talk with those Jem'Hadar. I am their god.
Gotens: Kugo, what about the transwarp function?
Kugo: No good. By the time we find out the problem, we'd already be home.
Ensign Dan: Well, Captain, what now?

(Later, in Engineering)
Billy: Chief, did you tell the Captain that it would be two weeks before we would find the problem to the core?
Kugo: Yes, I did.
Billy: Well, Chief, these readings show that if we adhere to the cloud, it would repair the core.
Kugo: That was the original plan. Tell me something I don't know.
Billy: Well, there was that thing with your husband, but that is another story-- Like I was saying, the cloud is the solution to the core.
Kugo: Ohhhhh. I get it. Chief to the Captain. I found--
Billy: AHEMmmmm.
Kugo: Ensign, is there something wrong with your throat? If you need to, you have permission to go to Sickbay. Anyways, like I was saying. I found the solution to the core problem. The key is the cloud. Our systems are okay with the cloud because of the interdimensional pull of the cloud to the core. It
seems that the cloud is compatible with the core technology. The plan is to integrate the cloud into the core. That would stabilize the systems.
#Daniel: Does that mean that we will be like normal, but even better?
Kugo: Yes, Captain.
#Daniel: Get on it then. Oh, and Kugo, good work.
Kugo: Thanks.
#Daniel: Captain out.

(On the Bridge)
Daniel: Okay, Commander. I'm beaming over to the Jem'Hadar attack ship. Since we have no weapons, make sure all personnel are armed. You never know what is going to happen. You have the Bridge.
Gotens: Yes, Captain. Understood.
Daniel: Armond, I want you and three teams of Wallace's security to come with
us, armed. Have the third team start the transport of prisoners to the Brig. Put Kayl in charge of that. She needs something to do.
Armond: Understood, Captain.
Daniel: BOB and Captain Aeris are with me.
Armond: Awww, man. We have to go with Aeris? She is so lazy.
Aeris: Uh! The nerve.
Armond: What about them. Wanna see em'? I'll pop them out for you.
Daniel: You two, stop at this nanosecond.
Aeris: Ooooooh, you stopped in two nanoseconds.
Armond: Pfft!
Daniel: I said, be quiet!
(All assigned personnel go to the transporter rooms and beam to the Jem'Hadar fighter. Meanwhile, Kugo and Billy get to work on a device that will be able to absorb the cloud through a vacuum)

(On the Lyngon-945, Bridge)
Daniel: Good work, Wallace.
Wallace: Thanks, Captain. Nice to see you.
Daniel: Okay, Helm, maintain course to the Alpha Quadrant. Captain to Third Security Team, begin beaming over prisoners. I'll talk to them when I get back to the ship. Captain out!
BOB: That's some good Captaining, Your Excellency.

(On the Lyngon-945's Brig, four Starfleet security guards take guard. Daniel stands in front of one of the holding cells and addresses the Jem'Hadar)
Daniel: Well? Aren't you going to bow before me?
First Jakla'Tan: Are you serious? You're a traitor.
Second Uon'Rog: It is a shame. But maybe it is the will of the Founders. Never-the-less...
(He bows)
First Jakla'Tan: We honour the Founders.
(He bows, then the rest of the prisoners in the holding cells bow)
First Jakla'Tan: Victory is life. And, may I ask what will become of us?
Daniel: It is most likely you will be prisoners of the Federation. But there are many other things such as community work for you to do.
First Jakla'Tan: As I was saying... You do honour us with your presence, but only as a Founder. And we will not sit around as prisoners of the Federation and do... community work.
Daniel: Really? Then I guess you're planning to escape us?
First Jakla'Tan: Not precisely. As I was saying...Victory is life. And we have not been victorious.

(Later, on the Pheonix-X. Ready room)
Gotens: ...What?
Daniel: Right in front of me. They eliminated themselves. There were forty-two Jem'Hadar on that ship. Now they're all dead.
Gotens: What about the ones we got in the Brig?
Daniel: Dead too. 
(Beat)
Daniel: Maybe it's my fault...
Gotens: They chose their actions, sir. Also, we found their Vorta. She's in our Brig.

(In the Brig, the Vorta, Feylou, stands in a cell, as the other prisoners are in their own cells)
Dawn: All my life's work. The hours I spent at the Academy...
Gast: Your life's work? What about mine?? I had a planet all to myself with those beautiful creatures.
Kotah: Oh shut up! I've had enough of you two. All I want is to have some peace and quiet for the rest of our journey.
Gast: Rest of our journey? There won't be a "rest of our journey." We're most likely going to die from either a warp core overload or an attack by one of this person's people!
Kotah: Well, then let's treasure our last days quietly.
Feylou: It's true. We will be destroyed by the Dominion. For my sake, I hope it's soon.
Kotah: What is that supposed to mean? You don't like my company. Well you can just kiss my—
Daniel (enters): As I see it, we certainly have a collection of prisoners.
Kotah: Yeah, and I have my own collection of inanity—
Daniel: Give it a rest, Kotah.
Feylou: A little on the touchy side, are we?
Daniel: Don't start with me.
Feylou: My most sincere apologies. I meant no disrespect.
(She bows)
Daniel: I want to talk to you about your men.
Feylou: Yes, I've heard. But I'd say it's an honourable death.
Kotah: Klingons?
Feylou: Jem'Hadar.
Kotah: Huh. They're more alike than I thought.
Daniel: Did they all die because I work for Starfleet?
Feylou: I'd say that might've been half the reason. With all due respect. Is this why you came all the way down here? I'd think you are too busy—
Daniel: No. I also want to talk to you about the reinforcements coming for you, access to some systems of your ship and decide what to do with you.

(In the Messhall)
Heelix: Your apple juice and your raktajino.
Billy: Thanks.
BOB: Thank you.
Billy: Anyways, we've figured out how to harness the newly discovered anti-matter variant... That big cloud. We just don't know how to get it into the warp core.
Heelix: But I thought you had a device built already to vacuum the cloud?
Billy: We did. But we ran into a problem. To use it, we'd have to use anti-graviton sheets. But that interferes with the ship's shields... and my stomach.
BOB: That's amazing.
Billy: You're a very unusual Ferengi. I've never met one like you before. You're not all wrapped up in profit and latinum.
BOB: Oh, I am. But it's not as interesting as working with the warp core.
(Heelix leaves)
BOB: Well, we'll be home in about a week at the rate you're going.
Billy: You sound unhappy.
BOB: My time served on this ship is at an end. I've given all the info on the Jem'Hadar I know. When we get back. I will receive a couple bricks of latinum and will be sent on my way.
Billy: You were an advisor? Figured as much.
BOB: Except, I've got nowhere to go next. I already tried applying at a Ferengi bar at Deep Space 9, but I still am rejected.
Billy: Well, if you've got nowhere to go, why don't you stay here?
BOB: What? Stow away? No way.
Billy: No, join Starfleet.
BOB: Join Starfleet?
Billy: Yeah, take courses in Engineering. You might get lucky with the Captian. He might let you stay on board as an acting officer. That way you can stay with the Engineering crew. We'll teach you the ways. Kayl, Maxy, Gewdeque, Dawn— Wait. Not him.
BOB: Starfleet. Sounds good. Where do I sign up?

(On the Bridge)
Armond: The tractor beam is starting to drain power.
Gotens: Is there any way to compensate?
Armond: Negative.
Aeris: If you let go of the Jem'Hadar attack ship, it'll go towards us. And I don't think we want a collision.
Gotens: Agreed.
Red: There's not enough space to move out of the way. To do so, we must leave the energy cloud.
Gotens: Gotens to Engineering. How are things?
#Kugo: Slowly, Commander.
Gotens: Damn. Armond, how many people are on the Jem'Hadar attack ship?
Armond: Thirty-four.
Gotens: Transporter room.
#Kayl: This is the Transporter room.
Gotens: Stand by from the Jem'Hadar attack ship to start beaming people over.
#Kayl: Aye, Commander.
Gotens: Gotens to Wallace.
(Lieutenant Wallace, on the Bridge of the Lyngon-945, appears on screen)
>Wallace: Sir?
Gotens: We're running into problems. I need everyone back on the Phoenix-X.
>Wallace: Aye. Wallace out.
Gotens: Gotens to Captian.
#Daniel: Daniel, here.
Gotens: We've got a problem.
#Daniel: Of course we do.

(In the Conference Room. BOB enters)
Daniel: BOB, thanks for coming. Now, be seated.
BOB: Thank you.
Daniel: Options?
Red: We could board the attack ship and control it from there.
Gotens: Their controls are a lot different than Starfleet.
Red: I could handle it.
BOB: I don't think the Jem'Hadar would leave the ship free to drive.
Daniel: What do you mean?
BOB: I'm pretty sure there's an encryption lock preventing specifically us from being able to control their ship.
Gotens: Sounds possible.
Daniel: Options for that option?
Kugo: I might be able to break it. But it'd take a while. As in a lot of days.
Aeris: We could get it out of the Vorta.
Armond: She might not just hand it over.
Aeris: How would you know? The Captian's one of his "gods." She might do what he says.
Armond: He's the enemy.
Daniel: Enough. I'm more afraid she might commit suicide.
Gotens: We're running out of time.
Armond: True. The tractor beam is going to give way. I can keep it up for another couple of days, but that would mean shutting down most systems on the ship.
BOB: Tractor beams...
Daniel: What about the warp drive. How's that going?
Kugo: Not good.
Daniel: I've heard that one before.
Kugo: Our first plan did not work.
BOB: Wait a minute. What if we tractor beam the variant anti-matter?
Kayl: We have nothing to lock onto.
Gotens: We can lock onto parts of the cloud where the anti-matter are closer together.
Kugo: It might mean we have to change some things on the tractor beam, but I think I can do it.
Daniel: No. I want you to work on the Jem'Hadar attack ship. Armond, you get to work with BOB on the tractor beams.
Gotens: What about the warp core? Someone has to monitor that.
Aeris: I can do that. I have engineering experience. And, Commander, I believe you do too.
Gotens: Oh, yeah. I've worked with Captian Aeris before in Engineering.
Daniel: Agreed. Commander and Captain Aeris, you monitor the warp drive with Lieutenant Commander Armond and BOB. Kayl, you monitor ship changes in both ours and the Jem'Hadar's and make decisions on what systems to shut down.
Kugo: Captian, if they fail with the tractor beam and I can't get the lock—
Daniel: I know. I'll talk to the Vorta. We've got three things going on here. If Lieutenant Kugo and I happen to get the lock. I still want the rest of you working on the tractor beam. Dismissed.
(Everyone gets up to leave)
BOB: Captian, may I talk to you for a sec?
Daniel: Sure. What is it, BOB?
BOB: Uhhh, I was wondering......
Daniel: Okay, out with it, BOB.
BOB: I was wondering if, after all of this, I can stay on the ship. I know I have to take some classes at the Academy, but I am willing to work hard for those. I just want to stay aboard.
Daniel: I see you thought about this for a while.
BOB: Yes, I have, sir.
Daniel: Very well. I will consider your stay on the Phoenix-X. After all, two bars of latinum is nothing to spare, is it?
BOB: What?
Daniel: Just a little Ferengi humour.
BOB: Uh, okay.
Daniel: If that is all, you are dismissed.

(Later, in Engineering, Aeris and the Commander monitor the warp core. Kayl is at a control station monitoring ship changes. Kugo, on the Lyngon-945, tries to break the encryption code. Armond and BOB work on tractor beams.)

(In Engineering)
Aeris: Good, so far.
Gotens: This is taking too long. I need to temper myself with some drawing.
Aeris: Fine. Here's a PADD.

(On the Bridge)
Kayl: Let's see. I can shut down this.
#Heelix: Heelix to Bridge. My stove just turned off and it won't turn on.
Kayl: Opps. Kayl here. I'm turning them on right now. Sorry for the inconvenience. Kayl out. 
(Beat)
Kayl: I'll never do that again. Let's see. I'll need a little power to the tractor beam. Looks like someone is using the holoprogram, "Cats of the Savannah." Awwwww. That sounds cute. I don't think this
person needs the safeties on. I'll just take the power from there.

(In Engineering)
Armond: Okay, we need to calibrate the dilithium matrix to the junction of the terrafelium conduit.
BOB: Uhh, okay. I'll just supervise while you do your thing. (I'll be doing this?)
Armond: Okay, whatever suits you. It's a real simple procedure.

(Later, in Sickbay, the door opens and Ensign Tom walks in)
Tom: Doctor, I need your help. I was attacked by a lion on the holodeck. I thought I had the safeties on.
Doctor: Come this way. Sit on the bed. This regimen will make you feel better. By the way, what was the program's name?
Tom: "Cats of the Savannah."

(In Engineering)
Armond: Alright, yeah! Wohoo!
BOB: Do something good?
Armond: I got all the alterations I needed to get done. Okay, now I need to focus the tractor beam on some subspace frequency...
BOB: Well, the energy cloud is giving off an anti-high decibel at, I'd say five quarts.
Armond: That's simple. Then the focus is at this frequency...
(He electrifies a focus hold under the control panel and presses a couple buttons on top)

(In the Brig)
Daniel: But I thought you—
Feylou: You are still part of the Federation and I'm still part of the Dominion. You have a lot to learn about religious and political relations. You are not getting that encryption code.
Daniel: It doesn't matter. I'm going to get it anyway. My Chief Engineer is busy on your ship breaking your access. We're just not sure if she'll get it in time.
Feylou: Haha! You're trying to break the code? Hahaha!
Daniel: I hope Starfleet puts you in a waste disposal centre.

(On the Lyngon-945)
Kugo: I've almost got it...

(On the Phoenix-X, Bridge)
Kayl: Oh no. The tractor beam is weakening.

(In Engineering)
#Kayl: Kayl to Commander Gotens. The tractor beam to the ship is weakening. I estimate another few minutes until impact.
Armond: Commander, I'm ready to engage tractor beam to the energy cloud.
Gotens: Make it so.

(On the Lyngon-945)
Kugo: Got it! Kugo to Phoenix-X, I—
(Suddenly, a proximity sensor beeps)

(Two additional Jem'Hadar attack ships drop warp outside the energy cloud. They start firing on the energy cloud. The energy cloud starts gaining electrons and lightning that constantly starts hitting the Phoenix-X and the Lyngon-945)

(On the Phoenix-X, Engineering)
Aeris: The tractor beam is receiving some of the variant anti-matter. Almost have enough...
Gotens: I'll be on the Bridge.

(On the Bridge)
Daniel: Transport Kugo and everyone back to the ship.
(Gotens enters from turbolift)
Daniel: She broke into a homing signal. They were already looking for the ship. That's why they got here so fast.
Gotens: Gotens to Engineering, do we have transwarp yet?
#Armond: Not yet. Another few minutes and we'll have this anti-matter harnessed.
Kayl: Tractor beam disengaged from the Lyngon-945.
(The Lyngon-945 starts hovering closer to the Phoenix-X)
Gotens: We've got impulse power?
Red: Affirmative.
Daniel: Take us out of the cloud.
Red: But, sir—
Daniel: Take us out, Lieutenant.
Red: Aye, Captain.

(The Phoenix-X speeds out, head first. The cloud then overloads with torpedo shots from the other Jem'Hadar attack ships and explodes with the Lyngon-945 inside)

(On the Phoenix-X)
Daniel: All stop.
Gotens: Do we have transwarp yet?
#Armond: Negetive. Another minute...
Daniel: Well, we'll just have to fight.
Gotens: I just remembered. We still don't have weapon control.
Daniel: What? Now you tell me.

(The two Jem'Hadar attack ships start firing on the Pheonix-X)

(On the new first Jem'Hadar attack ship, Hinxen-327)
Second Ri'Khak: They're hailing us.
First Ty'Chat: Open channel.
>Daniel: Are you so sure you want to do this? I am one of your Founders.
First Ty'Chat: We know. We've been debriefed. This is a suicide mission. Once you are destroyed, my men plan to kill themselves. Fire again.

(On the Phoenix-X. The ship shakes)
Daniel: Another suicide? Again it'll be my fault.
(The Jem'Hadar on screen look at each other bewildered before the screen goes off)
Red: Captian, with all due respect, they won't be the only ones to die from this battle.
Daniel: You're right. It's: We all die or we all don't. Options?
Gotens: Prisoner exchange.
Daniel: No! Multi-vector mode!
Gotens: What good is that gonna do?
Daniel: Computer, initiate multi-vector separation. Attack sequence Omega.

(The ship separates into three)

(On the Hinxen-327)
First Ty'Chat: Their ship is separating into three?

(The Phoenix-X vectors start circulating around the Hinxen-327 and Hinxen-328)

(On the Hinxen-327)
First Ty'Chat: Oookay.
Second Ri'Khak: I can't get a clear lock on any one of them!

(On the Phoenix-X)
Gotens: Are you feeling deja-vu too?
Red: They are retreating!

(The Hinxen-327 and Hinxen-328 turn and jump to warp, out of there)

(On the Phoenix-X)
Gotens: Why are they retreating?
Daniel: I don't know.
Gotens: I'm pretty sure they would've at least tried to collide with us. As is the convention.
Daniel: Yeah.
BOB: Maybe they didn't want to die like the other Jem'Hadar did.
Gotens: Or, maybe they finally decided that it was too much for them to kill a god.
Daniel: Or, maybe... It was because they knew I didn't want them to die...
#Armond: Lieutenant Commander Armond to Bridge. We've got normal transwarp.
Daniel: Excellent. Red, set a course for home. Engage.

(The Phoenix-X turns and jumps to transwarp)